Skip to Main Content
  • Today's Hours:

    Friday9:30 AM - 9:00 PM
    The Library is currently closed.


VITA Tax Help

Volunteer Income and Tax Assistance Help

Volunteer Income and Tax Assistance (VITA) is available to the public during tax season.

VITA is from February 8 through April 12. The last day to file your taxes is April 18.

How to Receive VITA Services

VITA is on first-come first-served basis. Please, be sure to have all documents, forms of identification, and involved persons present at the time of your appointment.

Numbers will be given out for the day beginning at 8:30am on Wednesdays to those first in line. The Library doors open at 9:30am.

senior woman
  • People whose annual gross income is $70,000 or less;
  • Persons with less than 10 stock sale transactions annually;
  • Persons with disabilities;
  • Limited English-speaking taxpayers.

Click here for a printable PDF of these items in English & Spanish.

  • Government issued photo ID for you and your spouse (if married);
  • For direct deposit of refund, proof of account and bank’s routing number;
  • Social Security card/or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number documents for you, your spouse, and for any dependents;
  • Birth dates for you, spouse, and/or dependents;
  • Last year’s Tax return;
  • Copy of Power of Attorney (if filing for someone else);
  • If married and filing separately, spouse’s information (such as date of birth Social Security #, etc.);
  • For married filing joint, both spouses must be present;
  • If filing jointly and spouse cannot come to library, bring their ID and Social Security card;
  • If spouse passed in 2022, bring a copy of death certificate;
  • All Forms W-2 and 1099;
  • Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number;
  • Information for other income;
  • All medical expenses, charitable contributions, etc. you want to claim, if itemizing;
  • Information for all deductions (including charitable contributions)/credits;
  • Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited;
  • Health Insurance Statements (Forms 1095-A, B, or C);
  • Letter 6419 (en-sp) – Advance Child Tax Credit Payments;
  • Proof of any self-employment income and expenses;
  • If your oil company used Biofuel, get a letter from them stating how many gallons you received in 2022 and what percentage of the fuel is Biodiesel;
  • Property tax receipts and statement to show Star benefits.

Click here for a list of nearby places to get free tax help.

Click here for a list of other Nassau County Libraries offering tax assistance.

Click here for more information about VITA from the IRS website.

For more information on VITA at the library, contact Erin McCauley at