Oceanside Library’s History
The suggestion to start a library for the Oceanside community was presented by Rev. L. Humphrey Walz at a PTA meeting in March of 1937.
His idea was met with unanimous approval. A year later, on February 22, 1938, the first Oceanside Library was opened as an association library on Poole Street, with the help and generosity of many residents. It began as a donated building on a loaned property, and offered about 2,000 titles. There was one librarian, Marion Sager, who would dedicate over 26 years of service to the library.